Veterans Benefits Information

Steps to Apply for VA Education Benefits

I want to use VA benefits at SEBC, how do I get started?

First, apply for admission to SEBC. You will need to submit all official transcripts from previous colleges attended, including your military transcript, for credit evaluation.

  • If you have never used VA benefits: Complete and submit an Application for Educational Benefits through the Veterans On-Line Application website, VONAPP. Once the application has been processed by the VA, they will provide you with a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
  • If you have used VA benefits before: Complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Form.

Please note: The SEBC does not determine your eligibility for benefits. Your eligibility is determined by the Veterans Affairs Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma when you apply online. This process takes up to 6-9 weeks to process, so please plan accordingly.

What is VONAPP?

The VONAPP (Veterans On Line Application) website is an official U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website that enables service members, veterans and their beneficiaries, and other designated individuals to apply for benefits using the Internet.

If you have a pending application, don’t use VONAPP to resubmit your claim.  It will slow down processing.  If you would like to know the status of a pending claim, contact the Education Division by calling 1-888-GI BILL 1 (1-888-442-4551).

How do I use VONAPP?

VONAPP can be located at: or

You will fill out an application form on this website.  The type of form you fill out will depend on the benefits you wish to use.

You can attach up to 5 electronic files to your VONAPP application before you submit it.  The total size of all attachment must be one megabyte or less and must be one of the following file types: .doc (Word document file); .xls (Excel spreadsheet file); .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .bmp, .tif (picture files); .txt (text file); and .pdf (Adobe Acrobat file).

After you submit your form through VONAPP, you will receive an automatic e-mail notice showing your name, the date of submission, and which VA Office received your form.  You will also receive an automatic e-mail notice telling you when the VA downloaded your VONAPP application.  This e-mail will show when your form was downloaded and which office will be processing your form.

In addition, your VONAPP confirmation page will have the VA Regional Office’s name and address where your claim will be processed.  After your form has been submitted, you should contact this office with any questions concerning benefits or your claim.

What other documents does SEBC need from me?

A copy of your DD214 (or NOBE if you are in reserves) and a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE).  These are needed by the time you complete registration.  For spouses/dependents you would need a copy of the DD214 of the veteran who is providing the benefits.

**All students, regardless of what benefits they believe they may be eligible for, should complete a Free Application of Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How to Obtain a Copy of Your Military Transcript

Joint Services Transcript (JST) provides the transcripts for all services except Air Force.  It can be accessed by going to the following URL:  For USAF transcripts use the following form

How to Obtain a Copy of Your DD-214

A Report of Separation is generally issued when a service member performs active duty or at least 90 consecutive days of active duty training. Among other things, the Report of Separation contains information normally needed to verify military service regarding eligibility for educational benefits. If you need to obtain a copy of your DD-214, you may use the eVetRecs Request System on the National Archives Web Site.

What do I do if I have more questions?

VA VOCATIONAL/EDUCATIONAL COUNSELING HELP AVAILABLE – If you need help planning your individual educational and career goals, VA offers a wide range of counseling services. Services include educational and vocational guidance and such testing as necessary for you to develop a greater understanding of your skills, talents, and interests. For further information on VA counseling, call VA toll-free at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or TDD at the Federal Relay, 711.

Additional Help: The Alabama Department of Veterans’ Affairs (ADVA) has Veterans Service Offices located in 50 counties throughout the State of Alabama.

Benefit Types and first time application forms:

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill®          Use VA Form 22-1990
*(For benefits transferred to a spouse or dependents: request  approval from the DoD for transfer of benefits using TEB or TOE, then use VA Form 22-1990e to apply)

Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill –Active Duty          Use VA Form 22-1990

Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation          Use VA Form 28-1900
Please note that you must bring or have your Vocational Rehab counselor send Form 28-1905 to the SEBC registrar’s office.

Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program          Use VA Form 22-5490
For those whose parent or spouse is permanently and totally disabled or died as the result of service-connected disability.  This benefit does not cover full tuition.

Chapter 1606 and 1607 – National Guard / Reserves and REAP Program          Use VA Form 22-1990
Will submit NOBE instead of DD214.

Department of Veterans Affairs
VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 8888, Muskogee
Oklahoma, 74402-8888

Other important information:

Only one program may be pursued under certification for benefits. If the veteran decides to major in two programs at the same time, only one will be certified.  Veterans’ may receive VA benefits for a second degree and for courses taken after completion of a first degree.  Veterans may change a program of study and continue to receive benefits if the new program is approved by VA.

The VA requires veterans receiving benefits to attend all scheduled class meetings. Failure to do so may result in the loss of benefits and pay back of veterans benefits already received for the semester in question.

The Veterans Regional Office will not pay for the following:

  • A course that does not pertain to the degree you are seeking
  • On-line developmental (remedial) courses
  • A course already passed at an acceptable level at UALR or any other school.

Additional Links:

Education and Training Benefits

Find Alabama Veterans Service Office

Alabama G.I. Dependent’s Scholarship (this benefit is not offered at SEBC, it is only for those attending public schools)