The History of SEBC
In 1933, a small group of Christian men had a vision to develop a Bible school in Birmingham, Alabama. It was the unanimous conviction of these men that there was a vital need for more adequate training of Christian workers and teachers. It was also agreed that the Bible should be made the center of the proposed school and that the teaching of the school should be evangelical.
The school was organized and incorporated as the Birmingham School of the Bible. On May 1, 1935, it opened its doors to offer classes two nights each week. From this modest beginning, the school grew steadily and widened its scope of ministry. In 1943, the name of the school was officially changed to Southeastern Bible School.
In June of 1947, the way was opened to purchase a new seven-acre, three building campus with beautifully landscaped grounds. Additional dormitory buildings were acquired or built in the following years. The charter rights to grant degrees were obtained in June 1950 and the name of the institution was changed to Southeastern Bible College. Southeastern was granted national accreditation by the Association of Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) on October 24, 1962.
Dr. Leon Gillespie, who came to SEBC in 1947, served as Acting President from 1958 to 1960 when Dr. Alden A. Gannett was called to the presidency of SEBC. The College more than doubled its enrollment in the nine years of Dr. Gannett’s administration. In 1969, Dr. Gannett was appointed President Emeritus of the College simultaneously with the election of C. Sumner Wemp as President.
Dr. Alden Gannett returned to the presidency in 1972. In 1981, Dr. James G. Kallam became President upon the appointment of Dr. Gannett as Chancellor. Dr. John D. Talley, Jr., was appointed President in 1988 and oversaw the movement of the College to a ten-acre location on Highway 280. In 2000, the College achieved its next important landmark by retiring its mortgage debt and achieving debt-free status.
In March 2001, Dr. Don Hawkins was appointed President, ensuring visionary leadership and wisdom for SEBC’s ministry in the 21st century. In 2004, with God’s providential blessing, Dr. Hawkins directed the College’s relocation to a 22-acre campus on Valleydale Road in North Shelby County. In September, 2014, Dr. Alexander Granados became our current President.