Financial Aid FAQs

1. What happens if I have academic or other problems and have to drop classes or drop out of school entirely?
If you have to drop a class it may affect your eligibility for financial aid for the current term or future terms. Review the satisfactory academic progress standards and check with the financial aid office to ensure you aren’t jeopardizing your financial aid eligibility.

If you have to drop out or withdraw from school, you may be expected to repay a portion of the financial aid that was disbursed for that term. If you withdraw, some of the funds paid to the school for your fees, tuition, or other charges may be refundable. If you received financial aid, refunds must first be returned to the financial aid programs according to federal regulations and other program guidelines. Check with the school about procedures for withdrawing or taking a leave of absence and be sure to consult with the Office of Financial Aid and Business office about refunds, repayments of financial aid funds, and your future eligibility to enroll and receive financial aid funds.

2. If I register for classes and take the financial aid but don’t attend classes, what happens?
Your eligibility for financial aid is based on your enrollment and making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate. If you don’t attend classes, you probably will not receive a passing grade. Failure to complete coursework or document an effort to do so (e.g., participating in classes or completing assignments and exams) can result in the determination that you were not in fact enrolled and therefore not entitled to receive financial aid. All financial aid would need to be returned and you might be subject to charges for fees, tuition, and other amounts due. Besides facing these financial obligations, your academic records and ability to return to the school could be adversely impacted.

3. Do I have to do a FAFSA every year?
Yes, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each academic year that you wish to receive financial aid, and subsequently complete certain Office of Financial Aid forms each year.

4. My parents don’t support me financially and I file taxes separately from them. Why do I have to list their information on my FAFSA?
INDEPENDENT STATUS DEFINITION: The federally mandated formula used to determine your financial need is based on the premise that your family has the primary responsibility to pay for your education. When applying for financial aid. The federal government has established specific standards to determine who qualifies as a dependent or independent student. To be considered independent for financial aid purposes, you must meet at least one (1) of the conditions.  To see a list of these conditions, access the Petition for Independent Status form for the current school year.